Thursday, October 4, 2012

First Half Iron Distance Jitters

I woke up this morning with a stomach full of jitters.
 
 
What was I thinking signing up for a Half Iron Distance?
Swim 1.2 miles?
Bike 56 miles?
Run 13.1 miles?
 
 
I thought of all the reasons I should just back out - I haven't trained enough; I'm 52 years old; I'm a slow runner; I'm a slow biker; I'm a slow swimmer; and it's twice the longest distance I have ever done.
 
I have swam 1.2 miles. I did it once at Lake Perris and it took me about an hour, but that was a while ago. I've been swimming a mile in the pool 3 days a week for the past few weeks. I think I am faster now.
Even if it takes me an hour to swim it, that will be okay.
 
 
I have ridden my bike 56 miles, and more, a lot of times. No problem. I just don't go very fast.
If I average 15 miles an hour it is going to take me almost 4 hours of biking.
Four hours of straight biking.
Sounds a bit painful, but I can do it.
Logo
 
I can run a half marathon.
13.1 miles
I have ran 2 so far this year.
I can run/jog/walk it in about 2 hours, 40 minutes, and that's with a lot of walking...just in case my knee starts to bother me.
 
 
It's not the swimming, or the biking or the running that had me nervous this morning.
It is putting it all together for such a long distance.
 
 
Add it up.
70.3 miles.
70.3 miles on my own steam.
 
 
Then I thought about what I would do if I just didn't compete at my first Half Iron Distance event.
 
Uhm, I could stay home and compete in my city's first sprint triathlon...5k run, 12 miles bike and 150 meter swim.
Bing, bang, boom - it would be quick and relatively painless.
My triathlon club is going to have a big showing!
One of my clients is going to be racing at it!!
Same day as my event.
 
Ugh, sometimes I hate making choices.
 
But I haven't been training for a sprint.
I've been training for 70.3 miles.
And while I have NOT been totally faithful to my training plan, I can say I have completed 85 percent of my training.
I couldn't do 100 percent because I needed that additional 15 percent for recovery.
 
 
I am as ready as I can be for my first Half Iron Distance course.
 
I added up the times....1 hour, 4 hours, 2 hours and forty minutes....and don't forget about transition times.
 
Yikes, how much time do I get to finish?
 
First wave starts at 6:30 a.m. and you have to be done by 3:30 p.m...
Well, I won't be in the first wave, but maybe by 7?
That will give me 8 1/2 hours.
At this thought, I once again thought about how nice it would be to compete in Riverside's Sprint Triathlon.
 
But how would I feel when it was all over.
I'd feel as if I let myself down.
 
Okay, so what is the worse that can happen during my Half Iron Distance?
I could go so slow that I don't make the cut-off times.
 
That's the worse....and it will still be a learning experience.
 
 

Why did I start training for a Half Iron Distance?
 
To become fitter, to push myself to become a better swimmer and biker and runner, and to set a big scary goal for myself!
 
That's where I'll be on Oct. 21.
 
Though I will be thinking of all my triathlon friends competing at Riverside's Triathlon.
 
 
 
  



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. Jitters are normal. So is celebrating after you've done it.

    You've got this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your encouragement. I am looking forward to the event. My goal - Finish with a smile. Motto - slow, but go!!!!

    ReplyDelete