Monday, January 21, 2013

My Training FLU Out the Window

My training plan flu out the window this past week.
 
That plan would have worked, if that had been my plan. But I had lots of plans and I couldn't do any of them.
 
My training plans started taking a nose dive about 10 days ago. I didn't know it at the time, but the flu bug had bitten me.
 
 
My knees were achy, so I taped them up before I headed out a week ago Saturday on a ride with my guy and several of my cycling girlfriends
 
Photo: Robert had a nice ride with the girls.... Me included.
Good thing I took this picture because it was almost the only time we were all in one place at the same time because I could JUST NOT KEEP UP!
My legs had NO energy.
Thankfully, my guy stayed with me.
 
I came home from the ride and took a 3 hour nap.
??????
 
Maybe I've been over training, I thought.
The next day I just didn't FEEL like doing anything.
NOTHING!
Wow!!
I must really be over training!!
 
Monday, I was able to get in a mile swim and go to my triathlon club's local get-together.
I slept really good that night.
 
Tuesday I worked!
That was it. That was all I could do.
I turned my Tuesday night bike ride over to Robert and I went to bed - at 6 p.m.
 
Wednesday I got up and worked again.
I felt okay and even managed to get in a mile swim after work and visit my daughter.
By 10 p.m. I was EXHAUSTED.
 
Thankfully, I did NOT have to work on Thursday.
I did have an appointment with my doctor for my annual female appointment.
She offered me the flu shot.
I turned her down.
I am healthy, I told her.
(I think the flu bug must have a wicked sense of humor)
I did some errands and attended a birthday party for my mom's husband.
I did feel as if I had a slight cold and my arms felt as if I had lifted some heavy weights (which I had not).
 
Friday I felt congested, but I got up and went to work.
IT WAS A TORTUROUS DAY!!!
I kept telling the students that I didn't feel very well and I almost went through a whole bag of "bribe" jolly ranchers.
 
My throat slowly constricted as the day went on.
Thankfully, the class I was working in has a student that requires me to wear a mic.
Photo: Wearing a mic in the classroom..... Trying not to break into song and dance.
I can whisper and the whole class can still me here thanks to amplifiers.
 
I laid down on the classroom floor and took a nap at lunch time.
(The teacher I was substituting for even came in and saw me napping!)
That nap got me through the rest of the day.
 By the end of the day though I could barely talk.
I am sure I had a fever.
I came home and went to bed.
4 o'clock in the afternoon - in bed.
 
I had plans to ride the 62-mile Grape Fun Ride with my guy and several friends.
They all rode without me.
I stayed in bed.
I stayed in bed until 2 p.m. when Robert drove me to Urgent Care.
Fever, flu, strep throat
 
In other words - SICK
 
I crawled back into bed Saturday afternoon and stayed there until Sunday morning.
I didn't know if my body was aching from the flu or from being in bed for so long.
 
I made my way from my bed to the coach in the family room and took over the TV remote.
Fourteen hours later and 5 movies, a liter of 7up, a quart of orange sherbet, 2 cans of Campbell's Chunky Chicken Noodle Soup, about 25 saltine crackers and endless cups of hot tea with honey, I was feeling better.
I couldn't remember if the rule was feed a fever and starve a cold, or starve a fever and feed a cold. I didn't want to take any chances so I just continued to eat.
 
Then I went back to bed!
This morning, I felt well enough to do laundry, work in my yard and blog.
 
I think I'll try a bike ride tomorrow.
 
And if you haven't had the flu shot yet, do it!
Even if it is only 60 percent effective, that is better odds than what I had.
Next year I'll be first in line for the flu shot.
 
 
Because flu germs don't care if you are healthy and a triathlete or about your training plans.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment