Sunday, March 31, 2013

Train With What's on Course

Thank you Tri-California!

One of the triathlon tips coaches throw out is to train with the nutrition that is provided on course during an event.
For a short event - such as a sprint (3 mile run, 12 mile bike and a couple hundred meter swim)  you can pretty much carry all you will need on you and on your bike. Even for an Olympic Distance (.9 mile swim, 25ish mile bike and 6.2 mile swim) you can pretty much carry your nutrition on each leg with you and restock in transition.
But for a half iron distance (1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile run) or iron distance (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run) it would be impossible to carry all the nutrition you need on you....even if you restocked in transition. That means you are bound to grab something from an aide station out on the course. And we all know you are NOT suppose to try something new on race day (unless you want to visit the porta-potty LOTS!) That's why the tip to train with what is out on the course is such a good idea.
 
At Wildflower, I will be competing in the Olympic Distance Course. Last year, I did the Mountain Bike Course and came in 2nd place in my age group. I am hoping for top 50 percent this year.
 
This is what they will be serving out on the Olympic Distance Course this year:
 
There will be 3 Bike Course Aid Stations and 5 Run Course Aid Stations. Earth Water, Gatorade Endurance, fruit, PowerBar and PowerGel will be provided.

Bike Course Aid Station Locations

Mile 8 (Water and Gatorade Perform)
Mile 12.5 (Water, Gatorade Perform, PowerBars)
Mile 16 (Water and Gatorade Perform)

Run Course Aid Station Locations:

Mile 0.8 (Water and Gatorade Perform)
Mile 1.9 (Water, Gatorade Perform, PowerBar Gel Blasts, PowerBars)
Mile 3.75 (Water, Gatorade Perform, Power Bar Gel, PowerBars)
Mile 5 (Water and Gatorade Perform)
Finish Line (Water, Gatorade, Fruit, Gatorade Recovery)

I had just put some of these items on my grocery shopping list to get the next time I went shopping, but before I got them a present showed up on my door.


 

Photo: Went to a 6-mile run and came home to find this on my porch. Thank you Tri-California for the surprise!!!!
 
And then I got this email:





Gatorade Endurance Formula

THANK YOU TRI-CALIFORNIA!
 
I had to stash my NEW training supplies so my boys wouldn't drink them all up!!

No comments:

Post a Comment