Sunday, October 20, 2013

Back-to-Back Triathlons Day 2

Day 2
 
I survived.
I can still walk.
I am happy.
 
 
Tomorrow is a rest day!!!
 
Yesterday I competed in the Seal Beach Triathlon and I place 4th in my age group.
The triathlon was a 600 meter swim in the ocean, a 10k bike ride on the crowded San Gabriel River Trail and a 2 mile run in deep sand.
 
You can read about my Seal Beach Triathlon experience by clicking on the above link.
 
Today I woke up and it was Round 2.
 
Today's race was totally different from yesterday's.
No surf.
No narrow bike trail.
No sand.
 
I was concerned about today though. I pushed my body pretty hard yesterday. Could I pummel it again today?
 
HELL YES!!!
 
Okay, I am laughing about that because I did okay today and I feel good tonight. Tomorrow it may be a different story when the DOMS sets in (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness).
 
And HAHA, I am teaching 5th grade tomorrow and I won't have any sympathy for them if I am feeling DOMS, so my sympathies to them.
 
I won't bore you with all the details of the tri today, but I do want to tell you about the highlights. To FORCE myself to be brief, I will be using bullets to for the best parts of  today's Riverside Triathlon 2013:
  • A lot of my Triathlon Connection peeps showed up for the tri and a LOT of them ended up on the podium. Everyone gave it their all. I love you all and congratulations to all of you whatever your placement. You all ROCK!! (P.S. - even you Jazzercise ladies rocked it...and if you had been a part of Triathlon Connection you could now be proud part owners of a Club Trophy....so sign up and next year we can all work together to regain the trophy!)
  • Again, my guy was with me for the event. What more can I say. He is just there for me!!! I am blessed.
  • My athletes rocked it....Yeah to Orietta who placed 2nd in her age group and was 4th woman overall across the line. And all that considering she was 1st in her age group yesterday. I told her to take tomorrow off.
  • Orietta and me...she is the fastest one, but I am the Coach!
  •  And nice job to Jeanne, who placed 8th in her age group. Jeanne has made such HUGE strides, especially in her bike. Next step is her run......(you can do it Jeanne).
  • I placed 3rd in my age group and I ran a 27:32:6 5k. Yeah, I know that's not fast for a lot of you, but it is fast for me, especially since I ran 2 miles in deep sand yesterday. Yippee, I am a runner!!!
  • Sinta 1st place age group, me, Orietta!!!
  • I stopped in the middle of my swim to help someone finish. Oh, it probably only cost me 30 seconds, but it was well worth it. I am so proud of Veronica for facing her fears and finishing the swim. Sorry, sweetie, if I yelled in your face....but I yelled with love.
 

 
 
 
THESE ARE THE BIGGEST THINGS:
 - as I was running down Victoria Avenue, I saw Coach Tony running back the other way. (Coach Tony was my first coach and I was a Coach Tony ambassador when I was just a newbie triathlete. I have learned a lot from him.) As he ran by, I yelled, "GO COACH!!!" and he yelled back, "GO COACH!!!"
 I pinched myself and it was true...I am a Coach!

 
- I found that I enjoyed my athletes having awesome finishes as much as I enjoyed competing.
 
It was a great back-to-back tri-weekend....
tomorrow I am taking the day off.
 
 

UHM, maybe I'll swim!
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
  • 

No comments:

Post a Comment