Tuesday, September 3, 2013

September - National Yoga Month

Time to get your om on.
 
September is National Yoga Month.
 
 


Okay, I have been doing Yoga for 36 years and I STILL can't do some of these poses.
I admit it - I have inflexible hips.
But I am working on my flexibility and I will be able to do some of the above poses TOMORROW!
 
 
Today, I will be practicing Yoga on my front lawn (Yoga on the Lawn) with my Triathlon Connection Riverside cyclists following our HILLS, Yes! ride.
 
We've been having Yoga on the Lawn every Tuesday for the past few months. We've been doing a lot of poses that stretch out our hips and backs and legs.
 
But this month to celebrate National Yoga Month, I'll be bringing some new poses to the mat....some strengthening poses.
 
 
National Yoga Month was started in 2008 by the Department of Health and Human Services, as a campaign to educate people about the benefits of yoga and to inspire a healthy lifestyle.
 
I started Yoga on the Lawn because as triathletes we pound our legs running and biking and push our muscles swimming and strength training.
Once in a while we'll get a massage or schedule a meeting with our rollers.
Hurts so good!
Hurt myself so good!
 
 
 
Yoga is the perfect way to stretch out the muscles and tendons (yes, it can hurt so good, too!) while still working on strength training.
 
Yep, strength training.
Those plank positions require some core muscles.
 
 
And holding a pose, such as pigeon, for any amount of time when you have tight hips, is definitely MENTAL strength training.
 
Tonight on YOTL we are going to practice warrior.
Yes, we are going to be triathlete warriors!
 
Don't forget your mat!
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment