Saturday, November 23, 2013

What Should I Eat?

What should I eat?
I mean, I know the healthy stuff I should eat- veggies, fruits, whole wheat - but now that I know WHAT I should be eating, I am worrying about how "safe" the healthy stuff I am eating is?
 
Is this all organic?
 
For the past year my guy and I have really been focusing on eating healthy.
It's hard.
THEY make it hard to eat healthy.
 
Just when I thought I was eating healthy by eating fruits and veggies and whole wheat products and non-processed food...I would get a kick in the gut - because that's where my food goes - and find out that what I thought was healthy, wasn't.
 
Yikes!!!!
 
I looked up on the Internet what is SAFE and it shows me people washing their hands
 
or a pyramid.
 
 
But what really counts for making my food SAFE and healthy starts with where it comes from.
 
We (Robert and I) have been pretty good about buying food that are ORGANIC - especially the foods that really make a difference if they are organic - berries, apples, carrots, cucumbers, celery, lettuce...
 
Some produce probably doesn't make a difference - bananas, melons, avocados - since we don't eat the skin.
 
But I was at a loss when Robert and I went to lunch the other day and he picked Market Broiler.
 
Lots of people were in there eating and having a great time and enjoying their meal.
 
I looked at the menu and all I could think of was POISON because I didn't KNOW where the food came from.
 
First, I don't eat shrimp because they are bottom dwellers.
 
 
I do like fish, but I looked at the menu and I kind of freaked.
What can I order that is SAFE?
 
I mean, I am at Market Broiler and their big seller is fish and I am wondering, what fish can I order that is SAFE?
 
 
After Fukushima, I read a lot of article about radiation in the ocean and how it was poisoning our fish source.
 
But I sat at that table and looked at the menu and I didn't have a clue if what I was going to order was going to be GOOD for me or not.
Would it taste good? Yes. Sure. I mean fish taste good. Cheese potatoes taste good. Veggies with a lot of butter on them taste good. Salad with a side of Blue Cheese Dressing taste good.
 
BUT WAS IT GOING TO BE GOOD FOR ME?
 
I thought about ordering a glass of wine, but I didn't because I didn't know if the grapes grown to make the wine were organic or not.
 
I ordered Hot Tea and STILL it was an issue when the guy brought around the tea choices.
Which ones are organic? Does it matter if tea is organic?
 
 
This isn't me, but I am blonde.
 
So I sat there and stared at the menu and I ordered.
 
While we ate, Robert and I talked about how it would be great if there was an app on the iPhone that could scan the menu and could tell us what was SAFE and HEALTHY because ordering fish and veggies with a side of rice once was healthy, but now it may NOT be!
 
I didn't immediately DIE from my meal, but who knows how much damage it did to my body.
 
Eating these days is scary.
There is a lot of CRAP out there and I don't want it in my body. By now we know that going through the drive-through at a fast food restaurant is CRAP, but what most people don't know is that sitting down at a nice restaurant and ordering a $40 meal could be crap in your body, too!
 
I want to be KNOW what I am eating!
 
P.S. - tonight I had a grilled cheese on whole wheat with pumpkin soup. I read all the labels and I was satisfied that I was NOT being poisoned. I also had a glass of wine (or two), but after the second glass I wasn't that worried about it not being good for me.
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment