Sunday, April 8, 2012

Benadryl, Bee Sting and Training

The darn bee sting I got yesterday on the Riverside Bicycle Club's 3-club ride got swollen and itchy very early this morning. I took 2 Benadryl and went back to bed.

My plan was to wake up at 6:30 p.m. and meet some Triathlon Connection friends for an open water swim at Lake Perris.

That was the plan.

What actually happened was this - I woke up at 6:30 a.m. loopy from the Benadryl. I didn't think it was a good idea to drive, much less swim in a lake when I was feeling drowsy and goofy, so I texted my friends and begged off.

In hindsight, I probably should have gone. Since I tend to stress out at the beginning of open water swims, maybe swimming while on Benadryl would have been a good thing. I was feeling very relaxed and carefree. I wish could carry that feeling with me into open water.


Later in the day, after the drugs had worn off, I did manage a 7-mile run. The entire time my neck itched. My itchy neck did keep my mind off my tired legs. After my shower I took more Benadryl and put Amish Origins on it.

I am allergic to wasps, but have never had a problem with bees.....until now.

The white part is the actual bee sting. It is raised and itchy. The red around it is swollen, hot and itchy.

I did learn one lesson from this - In case of wasp stings, I should always carry some Benadryl on my bike rides or runs.

Tomorrow I am swimming, without benefit of Benadryl, at Lake Perris with my guy.

Wasps and Bees - Stay away!!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment