Sunday, April 29, 2012

Countdown to Wildflower!

My guy and I are going to Wildflower this year!
It's Wildflower's 30th Anniversary.
My guy and I are Wildflower virgins and don't know what to expect, so being the prepared guy that he is, Robert printed out the AVIA Wildflower Triathlons Digital Guide.
30th Annual Avia Wildflower Triathlon 2012

ALL 154 PAGES!

I have a lot of reading to do between now and Thursday when we leave to head up to Lake San Antonio for the events.

Wildflower has a Long Course (Half Ironman), Olympic Distance Course and a Mountain Bike Course.

Robert and I are signed up for the Mountain Bike Course.
I thought it would be fun....I mean how hard could a 1/4 mile swim, 9.7 mile bike, and 2 mile run be?

I'll let you know.

If I can figure out how to repack my Swimsafe, I think I will have the swim portion under control. I have been doing a lot of swimming (lessons) and open water practice.

I have really been getting in some mountain bike miles. I rode about 35 miles on trails this month, a lot of them up Skyline Drive, which has a grade of 4 percent to 13 percent for miles..

I also feeling pretty good about running 2 miles. I haven't been great at running lately. I have been so focused on strength training, swimming and biking. But I LOVE trail running and I am envisioning my inner runner just joyfully running those 2 miles!

(I promise, Coach, to get back to my running regimen when I get home).

Today during our bike ride, Robert said he was really looking forward to Wildflower.

"It will be fun," I said.
Fun is a theme with me, in case you hadn't noticed. If it's not fun, why do it?

"Yeah. It will be fun," he said. Then added, "Maybe next year we can do the longer triathlon."
"Uh, you mean the Olympic Distance, right?" I threw back.
"Yeah."

"Or maybe even the long course," I said. He didn't answer, but my brain was already going to next year and how much FUN I was going to have swimming 1.2 miles, biking 56 miles and running 13.1 miles.

But first things first.
Tomorrow I need to run some miles and clean up my mountain bike.

And who knows, this may be my first step into Xterra racing.




No comments:

Post a Comment