Saturday, April 21, 2012

Body Fat Testing. The Results are in!

I had a Hydrostatic Body Fat Testing experience today.

The results are in.

I was shocked!

I have been figuring out my BMI (BMI stands for body mass index, and is a figure that attempts to illustrate someone’s approximate health by taking into consideration his or her height and weight. It is more exact than simply standing on a scale, as it does rely heavily on the person’s height, as well, giving a person (or physician) a better picture of the overall state of one’s body. Its overall goal is to determine an ideal weight for an individual based on these factors. Body mass index also helps doctors and patients talk about weight objectively.) by looking at the charts for height and weight. Also when I go to the doctor's office for check-ups they include BMI in my After Visit Summary. My last BMI from the doctor's was 20.31. I was happy with that.


When I looked up what my doctor's measurement of my BMI meant, this is what I found: BMI is between 18.5 and 24.9 (Normal Weight)
People whose BMI is within 18.5 to 24.9 possess the ideal amount of body weight, associated with living longest, the lowest incidence of serious illness, as well as being perceived as more physically attractive than people with BMI in higher or lower ranges. However, it may be a good idea to check your Waist Circumference and keep it within the recommended limits.
Note: Since Body Fat Percentage calculations use total body weight and not estimates of lean muscle mass and fat, BMI can not determine between the overweight and the more muscular.


Wow, I know that was a lot of information, but it is background. Because I was happy walking (I mean, swimming, biking, running) around being 20.31 percent FAT!!!!!


But if you look at the NOTE...it says BMI cannot estimate LEAN MUSCLE MASS and FAT and it CANNOT determine the MORE MUSCULAR.

I've been lifting weights...I want to be more muscular!
A little over the top...but you get the idea!!

When my friend Martin advertised he was offering FREE Body Fat Testing by Water at the Grand Opening of his IN2IT Nutrition and Fitness store in Riverside, I probably was the first person to call in and put my name on the list.

Why?
Because Hydrostatic (underwater) Composition Testing is universally considered to be the "Gold Standard" of body fat testing to which other methods still compare.

And did I mention - it was FREE!

Well, today was the day.

I was the 4th person in line to get my body fat measured. The guy that came out before me said the tank was a little squishy. I was a little apprehensive. Would I have to roll myself into the fetal position and hold my breath?

Don't mind my friend Orietta waving from behind the curtain. She REFUSED to have her body fat tested. Next time, Orietta!!!! This is what the tank looks like without anyone in it.

Saul, the tester, told me to get in, stomach down, put my hands on the top bar and my feet on the bottom bar.

Before we go any further, grab a pencil and paper and jot down the percentage you think my body fat is based on the Hydrostatic Body Composition Analysis.

I facebooked and said I was going to do this and several of my friends put in their votes.
Thank you, Melodi, for thinking I am only 10 percent fat! But you are delusional.

I am going to put my head under and pull myself down and exhale all my air and wait for Saul to tap me on the shoulder to let me know I can come up.....Did I mention that being submerged in water with no air is one of my greatest fears? Will I be able to do this?


Yes, I did it!
Three times to make it official!
It wasn't scary and it wasn't hard!

Now I just had to wait for Saul to input all the information and the computer to spit out the truth:

???????????

Again, I was shocked......

and pleasantly surprised.



Hydrostatic Evaluation Results prepared by FitnessWave:
Body Fat - (%) 16.9
Lean Body Mass - (%) 83.1
Fat Body Mass - (lbs) 17.5
Lean Body Mass - (lbs) 86

Saul went on to show me that with a body fat percentage of 16.9 I fell in the excellent standards for the 50-59 age group, and the 49-49 age group, and the 30-39 age group....

If I lose just 1.1 more pounds of fat I will be at 16 percent body fat and I will be in the excellent range for the 20-20 age group, too! If only I was really that age.
Uhm, I think I may find my abs yet!!!!

You are never too old to find your abs!!!!

FYI: The minimum recommended body fat for women is 8 to 9 percent and for men it is 5 to 6 percent.

P.S. Saul said he had to set a goal as part of his reporting. He explained that the ideal body fat and weight for a woman my age and height is 22 percent or 110.2 pounds. I would have to GAIN weight for that....but since I am an athlete, he set my goal at 12 percent or 97.7 lbs. I told Saul I would have to do LENT again and give up alcohol to get to that and it just wasn't worth it.

 So we brainstormed and set my goal for 15 percent body fat and 101.2 lbs.


I have 2.3 pounds of fat to dump.




2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing valuable information.The whole blog is very nice,found some good information here Thanks..Also visit my page Body Composition TestingRAW is designed to help you get the results you want. We combine state of the art equipment with the best personal trainers to deliver the ultimate head to toe conditioning fitness experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliment on my blog. Since I am a Certified Personal Fitness Trainer, I think I can deliver the best program for myself. Also Texas is a little too far away from me, but if I am ever near Houston maybe I'll stop in and say hi. And if you have anyone you know in the Inland Empire interested in training for an endurance event, sent them my way, since I am also a Certified USA Triathlon Coach.

    ReplyDelete