Friday, November 23, 2012

Turkey Tri

I am going to event at the Turkey Tri at Bonelli Park on Sunday. The triathlon is a 1/2 mile swim in the lake (64 degree water), a 14 miles bike on hilly, hilly roads and a 4.5 mile run on a hilly path.
 
 
I got the entry for free because a while back I volunteered at the Magic Mountain Man Triathlon's bike aid station.
 
After eventing at SOMA Half Iron Distance last month, I have kind of been a tri-slacker. Every day I have been either biking, running or swimming, but I have not done one brick workout. Well, that's a lie, my brick workouts have been swim-eat; bike-eat or run-drink-a-beer.
Not the stuff to make a fast triathlete.
Not that I have ever been fast.
 
My body may be in for a bit of a shock on Sunday when it is asked to swim, bike and run all in the same morning.
 
I have decided that I am just going to try and channel my fellow Triathlon Connection athlete and friend Paulene Williams. I was looking for information on the Turkey Triathlon and I came across this video. Besides Paulene, a lot of people in the video are my friends.
 
 
 
 
 
Paulene came in first place in her age group.....I just want to finish. Paulene just became an Ironman at Ironman Arizona....I have my eye on Ironman Texas 2014.
 
Paulene finished the Turkey Tri in 1:48 something last year.....I have hopes of finishing in less than 2:30.
 
Here is another video of that race.
 
 
And yes, that is MACCA in the videos.
 
As you can tell, I am looking for some motivation and inspiration.
 
In the past two days I have truly celebrated Thanksgiving by being grateful for all my family and friends and all the trimmings!!!!
 
I have a feeling this race is not going to be pretty for me...but it will definitely burn off some calories. I'll also get to hang out with lots of friends.
 
Feeling a little tentative about the race, I looked to my friend Lori, how always has some inspiration saying to inspire me, and sure enough, she had the right saying for my Turkey Tri...because after all, I will not only be running off my turkey, mashed potatoes with gravy, stuffing, olives, chips and dip, green beans, sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts, three pieces of pie, wine and the two rolls with butter, (And that was BEFORE I went to the movies and had popcorn with a soft drink), I will also continue to think of all of all the things I am grateful for.


Photo: Pause for a moment... Breathe in slowly and deeply... Release. Feel the miracle of your breath... Say thanks.

* via www.positivelypositive.com
Today I am grateful I swam in an outside pool that was 78 degrees warm, while the sun was shining in the blue skies of Riverside, CA. I am so grateful to live in Southern California where November 23 can be 84 degrees and seem like a summer day.








 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment