Saturday, March 3, 2012

Desert Triathlon - My First International Distance.

Tomorrow I am competing at my first International Distance Triathlon - a 3/4 mile swim in a lake, a 24-mile bike ride and a 10k run.

deserttrilogo2010I have a couple of concerns about tomorrow.

First, I am not sure I will be finished by the time they have awards and the drawing for the Cannondale Slice Triathlon Bike. I registered for the Desert Triathlon before Dec. 31 so I could be entered in the drawing for the bike. The rules say you don't have to be present to win, but I would sure like to be there when they call my name.

I had to laugh when I read the email from the people putting on the event saying, "You need not be present to win, but I hope you will all stick around to see who the lucky winner will be."

Stick around? Who are they kidding? I'll still be out there running on their darn course. I wish they would wait for me to finish. It's the least they could do, since I AM WINNING THAT BIKE!!!!!

Why do I think I won't be finished? Well, I went online and looked at last year's results. For women in the 50-54 division (yes, I am 51) the fastest woman completed the course in 2 hours and 25 minutes, but she was a fast swimmer, rode her bike at 21.8 miles per hour, and ran at a 7:59 pace. I WISH!!!!

Since my wave goes off at 7:51 a.m., if I could go as fast as she did, I would have 15 minutes to get cleaned up and be at the awards ceremony and personally accept my bike.

The slowest woman - sorry, lady, but I don't know what else to call you - last year took 3 hours and 38 minutes to complete the course. She swam the 3/4 mile in about 35 minutes. I don't think I can swim that fast. By my calculations, I think it's going to take me at least 45 minutes to swim that far. I am not that fast.

And out in open water I tend to zigzag a bit, so my 3/4 mile may end up being 4/5 mile. I am bringing my guy to be my swim buddy, but he is horrible at directions so I don't think he's going to be much help in keeping me on course. He's just going to make sure I don't hyperventilate and have a seizure or something out in the middle of the lake. Race directors frown on that and I certainly do not want to be an embarrassment to my triathlon club.

Back to the slowest competitor last year. She biked the 24 miles at a rate of 15.10 miles per hour. I am pretty sure I can do that, maybe even faster, since they say the course is flat and I now have aerobars. She ran the course at a 12:54 pace. Usually I can run faster than that. My last 10k I ran at a 10:20 pace, but that was just running, not after a bike ride and a swim and in the HEAT!!!!

Heat is my second concern. I am not very good at biking or running in it. I AM very good at sitting in the shade when it is hot and sipping on a cold drink - but that's about it.



The weather channel said it was going to be 60 degrees when we take off on our swim. When I get on the bike it is going to be 68 degrees. I can handle that.  That's perfect bike riding, I mean racing, weather. Around 10:30 when I start out on my run it is going to be about 78 to 80 degrees. That's a little warm for me to be running in.


By 11 o'clock it is projected to be 81 degrees by noon, 83 degrees.


So here's my plan: enjoy my swim and go as fast and as straight as I can without getting out of breath; get out of my wetsuit and out on my bike by 9 a.m., though I pray that it will be faster; be off my bike and running out of transition around 10:30 so I can hear them say my name as the winner of that fabulous triathlon bike; after hearing them call my name, the run in the heat is going to be much easier because I will know that my new wonderful bike is back at the finish line waiting for me.

However fast or long it takes me, the bottom line is I want to finish this International Distance with dignity and get a PR (which I will because it is my first) and remember that the last place person in my division is somewhere out there sitting at home on her couch!

 This is NOT me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment