Friday, March 23, 2012

Hard Week

 Monday started off great.

My guy and I went for a 20-mile bike ride up and down Victoria Avenue.


Then I ran 1.5 miles with my youngest son, who is recovering from a bike injury. It made my heart soar to run with him. Every day his back is getting stronger.

In the evening I attended a class on preparing for an Ironman put on by my coach. Here my first HALF Ironman is on the schedule for OCTOBER and already I am planning for my FULL Ironman.

I came home full of energy and plans.
My guy met me at the door looking pale.

"My dad died," he said.

Robert's dad lived in Florida with his wife. Robert left this morning to go there for the funeral.

Robert's dad was not in the best of health. He had some medical issues.

Every hard workout I had this week - running - I thought about how much I enjoyed having my health and being able to run and bike and swim.
Living a long time and being able to do all the physical activities I want for as long as I want is one reason I TRI. Swimming, biking, running and strength training keeps me physically and mentally in shape.

My kids with their Grampa and his wife.


My sister-in-law wrote this message about my father-in-law: Please know that the last day of his life was a good one. He went to a Yankees spring training game with his friends. He told my mom he loved her. He was happy.

I'm glad my father-in-law was doing something he liked on his last day. We should all be doing something we like every day of our lives because we never know when it could be our last day.

My sister-in-law went on to write: I know some of you won't be able to be with us physically on Saturday when we have his funeral, but your presence will be felt. If you have a story, a memory, or a picture of my dad that you would like me to share with my family, please let me know. Or simply, if you want to celebrate my dad's life on Saturday, wherever you are, wear a Yankees cap. That would make him smile.
Thanks again for your support. I know my dad would be happy to know that his wife, kids, and grandkids are surrounded by so much love.


My father-in-law wearing his Yankees' cap.


Tomorrow Robert will be attending his father's funeral in Florida. The rest of my family stayed home. While school and work kept us physically here, emotionally we will be with the rest of our family in Florida.

Tomorrow I have a 5-mile hilly run on my workout schedule. I'll be wearing my red Yankees cap in honor of my father-in-law.


No comments:

Post a Comment