Saturday, February 18, 2012

Double Dipping!

Thinking it was smart and would save me money to sign up way in advance for an event, several months ago I doled out about $55 for an entry into the inaugural Pasadena Rock-n-Roll 1/2 Marathon. I ran the Pasadena Marathon a few months before and enjoyed running by the historic homes with their sweeping well-manicured front lawns. I could do that again....and for way less than a regular R-N-R event. So I plunked down my money and patted myself on the back for a job well-done.




Fast forward several months and a new triathlon pops up in Fontana - STEELMAN.



I grew up in Riverside and everyone (yes, everyone!)knew that Fontana was a dump...sorry, but that was the impression of Fontana in the 60's and 70's. So it was with a huge misgiving that as part of getting my degree in Journalism from CSU, Fullerton, I accepted an internship at the Ontario Daily Report covering the City of Fontana.

They liked my work...enough to banish me to the armpit of their coverage area.

I learned a lot....about poisonous plants, boring city council meetings, police cover-ups and child abuse. Oh, and Sammy Hagar once lived in Fontana!
Add in Route 66 and you have a winning combination.

So, I was intrigued by the thought of a sprint triathlon in Fontana. Then I learn that Scott McAfee from Don's Bikes designed the course. I have met him several times. I don't think he remembers or knows my name even though I tell him every time. His energy is bountiful. That's a nice way of saying he reminds me of a second grader with ADHD.


The Steelman bike course is slow up, fast down, slow up, fast down, slow up and fast down, with a sharp turn in there somewhere. Lots of triathletes are going to suffer on the bike course, especially after running.

I wanted to compete in Steelman, even though I was already signed up for the Pasadena R-N-R 1/2 marathon. I'll take triathlon over run anytime. ANYTIME!!!!
 And all my Triathlon Connection friends are signing up. I don't want to be left out. But I paid money for the Pasadena run, and the Steelman is a little pricey.


DILEMMA!
 
Dilemma - two fabulous things to pick from!

I picked Steelman. But I didn't want my money to go to waste.......


A couple
of Triathlon Connection friends and I went to the Pasadena Rock-n-Roll expo today and picked up our bids and schwag.

We had a great time at the Expo and collected a lot of goodies.  The shirts they gave us are great - women's cut and tech! With all our freebie stuff and the fun time I had, I'd say I got my money's worth.

Then I gave my bid and tag away to someone who is going to enjoy running in my place. I am sure however they run (fast or slow) it will be faster than I would have run it.

And that person will probably finish the Pasadena Rock-n-Roll 1/2 Marathon faster than I finish Steelman tomorrow morning!

Either way, both events are inaugural and I am PRing!


No comments:

Post a Comment